You were as brave as a lion.They fought like cats and dogs.He is as funny as a barrel of monkeys.This house is as clean as a whistle.He is as strong as an ox.Your explanation is as clear as mud.Watching the show was like watching grass grow.
- 1 What are similes 10 examples?
- 2 What is an example of Similie?
- 3 What are the 10 examples of metaphor?
- 4 What are some famous similes?
- 5 What is a simile for kids?
- 6 What are 20 examples of similes?
- 7 How do you find a simile?
- 8 What is simile and metaphor with examples?
- 9 Does a simile look like?
- 10 What are the different types of similes?
- 11 How do you write a good simile?
- 12 What are 5 similes in a book?
- 13 What is the similes of as happy as?
- 14 What is a simile for hard?
- 15 What is the similes of monkey?
- 16 What is a simile Grade 4?
- 17 What is a simile for smart?
- 18 What is a simile example for students?
- 19 What is a simile year 7?
- 20 What is a simile in school?
- 21 What are 5 examples of personification?
- 22 What is metaphor give two examples?
- 23 What is a simile for SAD?
- 24 Is raining cats and dogs a metaphor?
- 25 What is a simile in poetry?
- 26 Is brave as a lion a metaphor?
- 27 Are similes felt like?
- 28 Are all comparisons similes?
- 29 What is a simile for soft?
What are similes 10 examples?
as American as apple pieas big as an elephantas busy as a beeas cheap as dirtas clean as a whistleas clear as mudas clear as crystalas cold as iceas cool as a cucumberas cunning as a fox
What is an example of Similie?
A simile is a phrase that uses a comparison to describe. For example, “life” can be described as similar to “a box of chocolates.” You know you’ve spotted one when you see the words like or as in a comparison.
What are the 10 examples of metaphor?
- John’s suggestion was just a Band-Aid for the problem.
- The cast on his broken leg was a plaster shackle.
- Laughter is the music of the soul.
- America is a melting pot.
- Her lovely voice was music to his ears.
- The world is a stage.
- My kid’s room is a disaster area.
- Life is a rollercoaster.
What are some famous similes?
- as busy as a bee.
- as blind as a bat.
- as black as coal.
- as brave as a lion.
- as strong as an ox.
- as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.
- slept like a log.
- dead as a doornail.
What is a simile for kids?
Kids Definition of simile : a figure of speech comparing two unlike things using like or as “Their cheeks are like roses” is a simile. “Their cheeks are roses” is a metaphor.
What are 20 examples of similes?
- You were as brave as a lion.
- They fought like cats and dogs.
- He is as funny as a barrel of monkeys.
- This house is as clean as a whistle.
- He is as strong as an ox.
- Your explanation is as clear as mud.
- Watching the show was like watching grass grow.
How do you find a simile?Similes are often confused with metaphors, which is another different figure of speech used for comparison. The easiest way to identify a simile as opposed to a metaphor is to look for the words ‘like’ or ‘as’. Thus, the best examples of simile include ‘as’ or ‘like’ such as “as proud as a peacock”.
What is simile and metaphor with examples?
Similes use the words like or as to compare things—“Life is like a box of chocolates.” In contrast, metaphors directly state a comparison—“Love is a battlefield.” Here are some examples of similes and metaphors: Life is like a box of chocolates. ( Simile) My life is an open book. (What are 5 example of metaphor?
Common Examples of Metaphor She is just a late bloomer. Is there a black sheep in your family? His heart of stone surprised me. I smell success in this building.Article first time published on askingthelot.com/what-are-10-examples-of-similes/
Does a simile look like?
A simile is different from a simple comparison in that it usually compares two unrelated things. For example, “She looks like you” is a comparison but not a simile. On the other hand, “She smiles like the sun” is a simile, as it compares a woman with something of a different kind- the sun.
What are the different types of similes?
- Those that make a comparison using the word ‘as’. E.g. ‘He was as tall as a tree’.
- Those that make a comparison using the word ‘like’. E.g. ‘She sings like an angel’.
How do you write a good simile?
Similes are the easiest of all comparisons to write because they follow an easy formula: “X is like Y.” A good simile is: Simple and clear. You don’t need to write like Shakespeare to write a great simile; many strong similes use plain, everyday speech.
What are 5 similes in a book?
Some other common similes include “white as a ghost,” “fast as a speeding locomotive,” “lie like a rug,” “as clear as mud, “dance like a maniac” and “tall as a tree.”
What is the similes of as happy as?
as happy as a larkvery happyas innocent as a lambinnocent, not worldly-wiseas large as lifeconspicuously presentas light as a feathervery lightas light as airvery light
What is a simile for hard?
Hard as a brick. —Anonymous. 1. Hard as a cobble-stone.
What is the similes of monkey?
SimilesMeaningas agile as a monkeyvery quickas blind as a batcompletely blindas brave as a lionvery braveas busy as an antvery busy
What is a simile Grade 4?
A simile compares two things by saying that one is like the other. Similes often use the word like or as. The cat’s fur was as dark as the night sky. The night sky is very dark, so the simile suggests that the cat’s fur is also very dark. A metaphor compares two things by saying that one of them is the other.
What is a simile for smart?
See synonyms for smart as a whip on Thesaurus.com. Very intelligent or clever, as in Little Brian is smart as a whip; he’s only three and already learning to read. This simile alludes to the sharp crack of a whip.
What is a simile example for students?
Here are some examples of similes: The house was as black as night. Her eyes shone as brightly as the stars. The car was as fast as a cheetah.
What is a simile year 7?
What is a simile? A simile describes something by comparing it to something else, using like or as: It was as slippery as an eel.
What is a simile in school?
A simile is a comparison phrase which finds similar characteristics in two objects and compares them, always by using the words ‘like’ or ‘as’. Writers often use similes to make their writing richer and give the reader a really good picture of what is being described.
What are 5 examples of personification?
- Lightning danced across the sky.
- The wind howled in the night.
- The car complained as the key was roughly turned in its ignition.
- Rita heard the last piece of pie calling her name.
- My alarm clock yells at me to get out of bed every morning.
What is metaphor give two examples?
Examples of dead metaphors include: “raining cats and dogs,” “throw the baby out with the bathwater,” and “heart of gold.” With a good, living metaphor, you get that fun moment of thinking about what it would look like if Elvis were actually singing to a hound dog (for example).
What is a simile for SAD?
My heart is as sad as a black stone under the blue sea. —Samuel Lover. Sad as the tears the sullen Winter weeps. —George Mac-Henry. Sad, like the sun in the day of mist, when his face is watery and dim.
Is raining cats and dogs a metaphor?
The statement “It’s raining cats and dogs” is not a metaphor, which is a comparison of two unlike things. Instead, the phrase is an idiom,…
What is a simile in poetry?
Simile is common poetic device. The subject of the poem is described by comparing it to another object or subject, using ‘as’ or ‘like’. For example, the subject may be ‘creeping as quietly as a mouse’ or be ‘sly, like a fox. ‘
Is brave as a lion a metaphor?
Metaphors are different to similes, as they do not involve using the words ‘as’ or ‘like’ to compare two things. Notice the difference in the example below: The girl is as brave as a lion (simile). The girl has the heart of a lion (metaphor).
Are similes felt like?
With a simile it is always apparent that a comparison is being made. … If I said that my feet feel like lead this would be a simile because I would be directly comparing one thing with another using the word “like”. We also regularly use the word “as” in similes.
Are all comparisons similes?
Simile in Writing. The thing to remember about analogies, metaphors, and similes is they all make comparisons. It’s how they do it that is a bit different. Did you have fun with similes?
What is a simile for soft?
as soft as velvet. as swift as a hawk ( eagle ) as soft as fur ( as silk, as putty ) as swift as lightning ( as a flash ) as soft as wax.