When filling a portable gas tank for an outboard where should you put the tank? fill the tank on the fuel dock, not on the boat.
- 1 Where should portable gas tanks be filled?
- 2 When you are fueling a portable tank?
- 3 What is the correct procedure when refueling a portable gas tank?
- 4 What is portable gas tank?
- 5 What safety precaution should you take while filling the fuel tank of a gasoline powered boat?
- 6 Where are fuel vapors most likely to gather?
- 7 Why do boats explode after refueling?
- 8 What action should you avoid when filling a portable fuel tank?
- 9 What should you do before fueling your boat quizlet?
- 10 Where is an ideal location to store your boats safety equipment during a boating trip?
- 11 Where is gas tank in car?
- 12 How much does a portable gas tank hold?
- 13 Is gasoline vapors heavier than air?
- 14 When should you ventilate until odors are removed?
- 15 What safety precaution should you take while filling the fuel tank of gasoline powered boat quizlet?
- 16 What is the best way to dock with no wind?
- 17 How should supplies be stored on a small boat?
- 18 Can you talk on a cell phone while pumping gas?
- 19 What is the purpose of the 1/3 fuel Rule?
- 20 Why should a boats gas tank never be completely full?
- 21 Why do yachts catch fire?
- 22 When should you Refuele a boat?
- 23 What's a blower on a boat?
- 24 Which of the following is recommended when docking your boat quizlet?
- 25 What should the stand on vessel do?
- 26 When fueling your boat What should you remember to use reserve tank?
- 27 Who is required to keep a proper lookout while boating quizlet?
- 28 What should you do if you encounter a fishing boat while out in your vessel quizlet?
- 29 What should you do if the motor on your boat catches fire quizlet?
Where should portable gas tanks be filled?
Always refill your portable fuel containers on the pavement or dock to ensure a good ground. While the bed of your truck or the deck of your boat may seem stable, static electricity can build up and cause a spark.
When you are fueling a portable tank?
When you are filling up a portable container, you should use one hand to compress the pump sleeve. Put the nozzle near the top of the opening into the container; if you put it too far into the container, the automatic shutoff will trigger when it is only partially filled.
What is the correct procedure when refueling a portable gas tank?Shut off all fuel valves and extinguish all open flames, such as galley stoves and pilot lights. Close all windows, ports, doors, and other openings to prevent vapours from entering the pleasure craft. Remove portable fuel tanks from the pleasure craft and fill them on the dock.
What is portable gas tank?
Polyethylene Portable Gas Caddies Conveniently Store Gasoline During Transport. Polyethylene portable fuel tanks provide safe and mobile accessibility to gas for a variety of marine and landscaping equipment or transport vehicles. Tanks have a spring loaded nozzle to prevent overfill and spills.
What safety precaution should you take while filling the fuel tank of a gasoline powered boat?
- Keep the nozzle of the fuel-pump hose in solid contact with the tank opening to prevent producing a static spark.
- Use caution and fill the tank slowly to avoid spilling fuel into the boat’s bilge or into the water. …
- Never fill a tank to the brim—leave room for fuel to expand.
Where are fuel vapors most likely to gather?
Evaporating gasoline creates vapors or fumes that are heavier than air. These fumes settle to the bottom of the boat where they could explode if enclosed areas, such as the bilge, are not ventilated properly to remove fumes.
Why do boats explode after refueling?Why do boats explode? Any watercraft with an inboard gasoline engine has a very real potential to explode. This is largely due to the buildup of gas fumes within a confined space, such as the bilge or an engine compartment. These gas fumes could possibly ignite and quickly spread, ultimately leading to an explosion.
What action should you avoid when filling a portable fuel tank?
When dispensing gasoline into a container, use only an approved portable container and place it on the ground to avoid a possible static electricity ignition of fuel vapors.Where should your passengers be when fueling your boat?
Tie the boat securely to the fuel dock. Ask all passengers to leave the boat and go onto the dock. Do not allow anyone in your group or others at the fuel dock to smoke or strike a match. Check to see that fuel lines, connections, and fuel vents are in good condition.Article first time published on askingthelot.com/where-should-portable-gas-tanks-be-filled-quizlet/
What should you do before fueling your boat quizlet?
What should you do before fueling your boat? Turn off the engine and close all windows, ports, doors, and other openings.
Where is an ideal location to store your boats safety equipment during a boating trip?
Safe Boating Tip: It’s a good idea to store all your safety equipment in a duffle bag or container. Keeping it readily accessible and available ensures you’ll find it when you need it most!
Where is gas tank in car?
Most modern cars feature a front-engine layout with the engine located under the hood. That means the fuel tank is usually found at the rear, located under the cargo area on a sedan or SUV.
How much does a portable gas tank hold?
Portable gas cans are most convenient for storing anything less than 5 gallons; the standard color code for portable cans is blue for kerosene, red for gasoline, and yellow for diesel fuel.
Is gasoline vapors heavier than air?
Gasoline produces ignitable vapors that are 3 to 4 times heavier than air and can travel for great distances along the ground. Gas vapors tend to accumulate in low or enclosed spaces. These vapors can then be ignited by a nearby open flame, such as a pilot light of a water heater.
When should you ventilate until odors are removed?
As long as the odors or air pollutants are present, the temporary exhaust ventilation must continue to be operated, even during nights and weekends if necessary. Ventilation should continue for a minimum of 24 hours after completion, or until there are no longer any noticeable odors.
What safety precaution should you take while filling the fuel tank of gasoline powered boat quizlet?
What safety precaution should you take while filling the fuel tank of a gasoline-powered boat? Keep engines, motors, and fans turned off. Why should bilges be kept clean and free of trash? To reduce the risk of fire.
What is the best way to dock with no wind?
- Approach the dock slowly at a narrow angle (about 20 degrees).
- When close enough, have a passenger step on shore and secure the bow line.
- Swing the stern in with a line or boat hook, and secure it.
How should supplies be stored on a small boat?
The supplies should be stored as low as possible with weight well distributed. Secure the equipment to the boat to keep it from shifting, and rendering it unstable.
Can you talk on a cell phone while pumping gas?
Many people think that using your phone while pumping gas can start a fire. According to the Petroleum Equipment Institute, that simply isn’t true. No one has ever documented a single incident where a cell phone has given off a static electrical charge and caused a fire.
What is the purpose of the 1/3 fuel Rule?
Running out of fuel is the number one cause of boater distress. Make sure that you plan your trip requirements and carry enough fuel to get you there… and back without any trouble. Use the ‘rule of thirds’ when considering the amount of fuel that’s required for your trip: One-third (1/3) to go out.
Why should a boats gas tank never be completely full?
It’s important to never fill the tank of your boat beyond 90% full. This leaves room for gas to expand and avoids the potential for overflow. Ensure that all air vents and valves to the gas tank are open.
Why do yachts catch fire?
Any interruption of cooling water can lead to overheating and then to a fire. In this case, a blockage of the raw-water intake caused the overheating. Other exhaust fires are caused by impeller failures due to age or sediment in the water. … A high percentage of those fires start on someone else’s boat.
When should you Refuele a boat?
- Moor the pleasure craft securely.
- Shut down all engines.
- Ensure all persons not involved in fuellingthe craft are ashore.
- Extinguish all open flames, including pilot lights.
- Do not smoke in the refuelling area.
- Close all doors, windows, ports and hatches.
- Fill portable gasoline cans on shore.
What's a blower on a boat?
A Bilge Blower on a boat is a fan that is used to remove flammable fumes from the engine compartment. This is to help prevent an explosion in the engine compartment whenever the engine is turned on after sitting for an extended period of time. The fumes that build-up are usually caused by a leak in a gas line or hose.
Which of the following is recommended when docking your boat quizlet?
which of the following is recommended when docking your boat? use line and cleats to help maneuver your boat.
What should the stand on vessel do?
Stand-on vessel: The vessel that must maintain its course and speed unless it becomes apparent that the give-way vessel is not taking appropriate action. If you must take action, do not turn toward the give-way vessel or cross in front of it.
When fueling your boat What should you remember to use reserve tank?
Remember to run the system for at least four full minutes before starting your engine. Finally, remember that any portable fuel tanks need to be filled, while off of the boat, to ensure stable footing. Make sure to fill these tanks in a well-ventilated area with no flames or electrical equipment nearby.
Who is required to keep a proper lookout while boating quizlet?
Keep a proper lookout. Every operator must keep a proper lookout, using both sight and hearing, at all times. Watch and listen for other vessels, radio communications, navigational hazards, and others involved in water activities. 3.
What should you do if you encounter a fishing boat while out in your vessel quizlet?
Always remain seated while shooting. What should you do if you encounter a fishing boat while out in your vessel? Avoid making a large wake.
What should you do if the motor on your boat catches fire quizlet?
What should you do immediately if a boat motor catches fire? Signal for help. Shut off the fuel supply. Abandon the boat.